Today I am posting some photographs of a Flute I made from Black Walnut.....click on the photographs to enlarge for a more detailed view.
I started out this project with a self challenge of constructing the flute in such a way that I could have a solid piece of Walnut at the end of the flute to carve the Hawk head into.
I routed out the slow air chamber and the sound chamber carefully to leave the last 3 inches solid when the two halves of the flute were glued back together and when finished I drilled 4 holes just behind the carved Hawk head to allow for the exit of air and sound from the sound chamber.
The next task was to carve a simple Hawk head for the Block, which I carved out of some Aromatic Red Cedar and placed a black glass seed bead in for the eye.
The flute was then tuned to the key of G, given several coats of tounge oil to seal the wood ,then rubbed silky smooth with 0000 steel wool and given 3 coats of paste wax to seal out any moisture.