Friday, January 1, 2010

Cherry and Mahogany Flutes

Today I am posting some photographs of two different Native American Wood flutes I have been making.

The First flute is made of Cherry Wood with the Block (Bird) of a Buffalo Carved from Aromatic Red Cedar, and also has 6 diamond shaped pieces of Real Turquoise I cut inlaid into the wood. I also wood burned in some designs for looks.

This Flute is tuned to the key of F#

Click on any photograph to enlarge for a better view.

Overall view of the Cherry Flute

Close up of the Carved Buffalo of Cedar Wood

View of the Turquoise Inlay and wood burned designs around the fingering holes.


Close up of the end you blow on with creative turnings



Another view of the mouth piece end




This next flute is made from Mahogony Wood with a Block (Bird) carved from cedar with an inlaid Turquoise nugget.
This Flute is tuned to the key of G

Overall view of the flute


Cloe up of the carved Block (Bird) with inlaid Turquoise

The Dark circles are inlaid Walnut Wood close to the finger holes



Over all view of the Walnut Flute









2 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

The flutes are beautiful. Did you turn these?

Eaglesbrother said...

EG...in answer to your question about turning...yes I do the turning of the wood for the flutes and also do some hand forming as well with small block planes , files and rasps as well as wood burning designs and cutting and polishing gemstone material that I use for inlay into some of the flutes.( I have been cutting and polishing gemstones for over 45 years and I no longer make jewelry so I use this skill to use in my Gourd Art and Flutes and other projects that I do.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Bob
aka Eaglesbrother